Monday, April 2, 2018

the ultramarathon


They are an almost-impossible test of the human body and spirit, yet the number of ultramarathons has increased 1,000% over the last decade. Adharanand Finn asks what’s behind this rapid increase – and whether racing 100 miles or more is actually good for you....
But are ultramarathon runners doing it to be healthy? No one I spoke to cited that as the reason. Hoffman followed up his research with a fascinating question posed to another 1,394 ultrarunners: “If you were to learn, with absolute certainty, that ultramarathon running is bad for your health, would you stop?” Seventy-four per cent of runners responded: “no”. -- [The Guardian]
Reminds me a bit of a Zen Buddhist chum who was skeptical, in the meditation practice, of what he called the "samadhi junkies."

2 comments:

  1. There's something seriously wrong with our species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While some may be foolhardy, I am so extremely grateful that there are folks who push the limits and share experience. I am so grateful, tears are in my eyes.

    I feel sad also that their are those who never push their own limits. I feel shame for so rarely pushing my own limits.

    ReplyDelete