Sunday, February 11, 2018

wrong day of the week

Mostly, I tend to ignore it or stick my head in the sand when it comes to proofs-positive that I am old: Can't see as well? OK. Can't hear as well? OK. Can't do chores as well? OK. Can't breathe as well? OK.

But every now and then, old age can get infuriating. Eg. Today, as has happened in the head-in-the-sand past, I thought it was Monday instead of Sunday. I goofed. But today, there was something really irritating about it.

In the long ago, knowing the day of the week was a 'given,' a piece of information that simply came with the moment. No doubt it had to do with the work week and its framing devices.

There is no real need to know what day of the week it is, but today I felt like getting it right ... and I didn't. The proof was in the fact that the garbage bins were not out in front of my neighbors' houses. Monday is trash day. There was that and also there was the small pill dispenser handing out the wrong day's collection. Then the computer confirmed my sense of having goofed. The computer is good for something, assuming I'm willing to believe it, which I am when it comes to days of the week.

Well shiiieeeeet!

I'm over my hissy fit now, but for a while there, I was pretty pissed.

3 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity I bought an Amazon Echo Dot. Turns out it’s a wonderful little device that has a high 90 percent of uptime and accuracy.

    You ask it questions and it answers.
    “What day is it?”
    “What time is it?”
    “What’s the weather like?”

    It takes some requests like
    “Give me a News Brief.”
    “Give me a recipe for ...”

    It has many Functions and Skills:
    Timer.
    Alarm Clock.
    Calendar.
    Much more.

    I set it up to turn off & on my bedside lamp reading lamp by voice command. Even dims my meditation lamp.

    Should be in every senior’s “Senior Kit.”

    There are similar devices from Google and Apple.

    It’s currently on sale for $39 on Amazon. There are versions with better sound. Versions with a screen. I took a baby step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was young, I set aside a day to clean house, smoked a lot of pot, and went to it. It took all day because I spent half of it wondering what I was just doing and what happened to the sponge that was just in my hand. I thought it was hilarious and made an onerous duty fun. As long as I can find the bathroom and the refrigerator, I don't much care when I am anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my world-famous-brand [casio] digital watch indicates the day and date - i have to remember the month and year, but usually that's not a problem

    ReplyDelete