Wednesday, February 7, 2018

"escarole" as a "foppish courtier"

"Escarole" is defined as "an endive of a variety with broad undivided leaves and a slightly bitter flavor, used in salads." It often shows up on a side dish accompanying oh-so-well-decorated dinner plates that never offer a square meal... dinners cum feng shui, dontcha know.

One of the problems with having Donald Trump as president is that the world of whimsy as a whole has been set back on its ear. The man is so clearly whimsical (the nicest possible word) in his mental gyrations that it gives whimsy a bad name. People are forced to take whimsy seriously, which is a great loss.

Which brings me back to "escarole," whose definition might whimsically be revised to mean "a foppish courtier." For fun, that feels like fun to me. That feels/tastes right to me. But where the fun-helium has gone out of the social balloon, I'm not sure anyone wants to giggle with me.

OK, "escarole" is "an endive of a variety with broad undivided leaves and a slightly bitter flavor, used in salads."At my age, serious people who take themselves seriously are, at a minimum, tiring ... me included.

Vapid escaroles!

1 comment:

  1. I think Trump personifies the idiot who wants to be taken seriously. They believe without investigation, and they vote. They hold up placards and shout a lot. They would be funny if they weren't so scary.

    ReplyDelete