Sunday, July 19, 2015

in the catbird seat

In times gone by, the "catbird seat" was a description of where anyone might sit when s/he was fully in command, assured and brighter than other nearby bright lights.

Says Google:
"The catbird seat" is an idiomatic phrase used to describe an enviable position, often in terms of having the upper hand or greater advantage in all types of dealings among parties.
An enviable position. And when it comes to assured and enviable positions, who better to be in the catbird seat of your life than you? Popeye's swaggering, "I yam what I yam" anoints the realm. It's simple, really: I know who I am, even when I pretend I don't.

And yet, this morning, the fragility of this scenery reasserts itself in the person of one of my all-time favorite videos. It asks simple, personal questions -- questions to which the catbird might have ready responses.

Pretty cinchy, right: "Who do you love?" "What do you hate?" The catbird smirks and puffs up its feathers ... but then ... but then....


1 comment:

  1. The funny thing about control, i don't think it really exists. Being better positioned and feeling confident are probably good things to have and may even work out now and then. But i'm often surprised how wrong i can be about such things. Maybe confidence, like expectation, is just a risky business.

    ReplyDelete