Saturday, November 17, 2012

gargoyle memorials

.
A statue, a bust, a park, a hospital, an athletic field, a bridge, a highway ... naming such things in memory of notables and philanthropists is not unusual.

Milan's Duomo cathedral
But if I had philanthropic money to toss around and wanted "to be remembered" for something, I think I would buy in to the main cathedral in Milan where, for a requisite 100,000-euro donation, I could have my name chiseled under a gargoyle. Milan's Duomo, the fourth largest cathedral in the world, is in need of repairs.

Gargoyles are fantastic carved representations that were and are used to convey water away from the structures they adorn. In church mythology, they were intended, as well, to convey a sense of evil to a largely illiterate audience: Evil was kept outside the church ... and you'd better remember that evil is waiting to pounce, in this life of the next ... and put some money in the collection plate.

Gargoyles have sass. Tombstones do not. If I were going "to be remembered," I would rather be remembered for sass than gravitas.
.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam

    Your post put me in mind of an incredible statue that is housed by Milan's Duomo. Some pictures of the work can be found here...

    http://flickriver.com/photos/tags/marcodagrate/interesting/

    St Bart was reputedly flayed alive and the statue depicts him carrying his own skin. I've no particlar point to make about this especially.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete