Friday, August 17, 2012

Pussy Riot members get two years each

.
Jailed for the last 5 months
In Moscow, three young women were awaiting sentencing today for staging a punk-musical demonstration in Christ the Savior Cathedral. Their protest was aimed at the anti-democratic activities of Russian president Vladimir Putin. Their demonstration and their potential jail terms (the prosecutors have asked for three years) have generated local and worldwide support. The head of the Russian Orthodox Church, whose attendance has been flagging, called their acts "blasphemy." The judge called their action "hooliganism."

But as serious as the underpinnings of the case may be, I am ashamed to admit that I am still stuck in a puddle of self-absorbed envy ... wishing like fury that I had been first to come up with the the name of their band: Pussy Riot.

Yes, I salute their efforts and yes, I am sympathetic to their cause. But to have come up with that juxtaposition of words ... oh brother!... how I wish I had done that!

The trio was sentenced to two years each.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment