Thursday, August 25, 2011

humor

.
What a peculiarly personal thing humor seems to be. At the Edinburgh Fringe festival, one particular comedian's joke was judged best: "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

I preferred (vaguely) a couple of the runners-up: "People say 'I'm taking it one day at a time'. You know what? So is everybody. That's how time works." and "I was playing chess with my friend and he said, 'Let's make this interesting'. So we stopped playing chess."

Perhaps the venue in Scotland made a difference, but I found all of the jokes strangely listless and devoid of the wit I associate with that part of the world. Like flat beer, it's still beer, but the fizz is missing.

Well, humor is a matter of taste, I guess, but it is a curious thing.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment